Wednesday, September 29, 2010

An Update

My life is painfully boring now. I had a great summer filled with graduation, wonderful trips, family time and easy classes. But all good things must come to an end... so, enter graduate school, my boyfriend moving to Texas, and working almost full time. Let's divide and conquer, shall we?

My graduate classes are... well... not the most exciting. I'm chalking that up to the fact that they are "prerequisite" classes, which is code for "mandated by No Child Left Behind." The material is interesting, but I feel as if it's not really anything I don't already know. The assignments are easy, but tedious. I also have to use APA format, which I absolutely hate. I started my observation hours at two locations: Wenonah High School and New Rising Star After-School Program. I had a very enjoyable first day and many of my previous misconceptions about Birmingham City Schools have been diminished.

At the beginning of August, Travis moved out to Austin to start graduate school. I helped him move out, pack up his whole life into a Ford Taurus, and drive 13 hours to Austin. I spent about 10 days out there helping him adjust to his new life aka helping him find his way around town, furnishing his apartment, and sharing pizzas. Austin is such an interesting city, and I'm loving that I have the opportunity to make it my vacation spot. There's just SO much to do there compared with Birmingham. We saw movies, kayaked on the lake, learned how to two-step, and ate raspberry-jalapeno gelato. It was wonderful.

Now my days are pretty boring in comparison. Let me give you a break down of my daily activities:
  • Wake up to my alarm at 6:00 and continue to press the snooze button until 6:45.
  • Shower, makeup, hair, and if my outfit was not planned in advance, try on at least 3 things before I finally decide on an outfit.
  • Drive to work, try to find parking, and make the trek to the office.
  • Head straight to the coffee maker upon arrival, sit down at my desk, cross my fingers for exciting emails, feel disappointed when all I see are emails from Papa John's and Domino's Pizza.
  • While checking email, consume one(1) Nature Valley Oats & Dark Chocolate granola bar.
  • Check my bank account to see if any money has magically been deposited.
  • Spend the next 2-3 hours avoiding schoolwork by Facebook stalking, adjusting my Fantasy Football Team roster, tracking packages, and reading the news.
  • When this starts to get old, send Travis an email with the subject "!!!!! :) :) :)" which contains links to 5-7 dogs that I found on Petfinder.
  • When Travis responds, email back and forth about what accessory each dog needs. For example:
This dog really needs a top hat and/or a monocle.

  • Work on schoolwork and take breaks to google medical ailments that I have
  • Repeat all steps until 5:00.
  • Go to class and feel confused and defeated.
  • Drive home, immediately change into sweatpants, and get in bed by 10:00.
The really sad part about all of this is that my weekends don't look that much different. Blurg.

Well, I think that was a good enough update! See you in 5 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment